Thursday, September 4, 2008

Beauty Experiment: Pressing Pigments


Click on image to enlarge

Here I go again, another experiment over and done with successfully. This time around you'll need:
  • Isopropyl Alcohol 70% (Dar got this for me at a pharmacy, the pharmacist decanted some into a smaller bottle and charged him RM 2. Oh well. )
  • Mixing spatula
  • Metal pans
  • Pigments (I used MAC, you can try others as well, like those from mineral makeups)
  • Syringe
  • Coins (not in picture)
  • Cloth (not in picture)


Step 1: Using a spatula, scoop up some pigment and fill up the metal pan. Stop before it overflows.



Step 2: Fill up the syringe will the alcohol and inject some onto the metal pan (not your pets please) until the pigments are fully saturated.



Step 3: Using the spatula, swirl the wet pigments around until they form a muddy paste. Refer to image



Step 4: Refil the metal pan with more dry pigments and repeat step 2, 3 and 4 until the metal pan is almost full.



Step 5: Lightly drop the metal pan from a height of 5cm onto a flat surface. Repeat a couple of times or until the wet pigment's surface is as smooth as possible. Let dry in room temperature for a few hours (this is my way, you can nuke it or blow dry it) until alcohol smell has dissipated. Take note the pigment will have sunken a bit, don't attempt to refill it ya.



Step 6: Cover the metal pan with a textured cloth and put a coin on top of it while ensuring the coin is fully inserted into pan. Drop your heaviest book on it and leave for a few hours. (Is this step necessary? I think it is better to compact it more as well as leave a textured surface to the pressed pigment for aesthetic reasons)



Step 7: Enjoy! Now it is no longer in danger of being spilled or blown away while the quality and texture is not sacrificed.



It's almost all filled up! That was quick! Again, metal pan palette is from CoastalScents because sadly, Malaysia seems to not have these things. If you own lots of MAC eyeshadows and you wanna depot them into pans, you can get this palette too as it is the same pan size as MAC's (not sure if you notice it, but one of the pan is MAC Neutral Pink from the N Collection). I'll show you how to depot MAC eyeshadow next time, as soon as I get some new ones :)

11 comments:

prettybeautiful said...

jessie u r damn cool lah! i really admire u. seriously, i wouldn't have the spirit do DIY so many stuff

*clap clap clap*

Connie said...

yay! you finally did it! Looks like it worked out beautifully :)Congrats.

ping. said...

wow... thats really cool man. never know pigment can be turned into like this. haha

irenekay said...

I have a few pigments which i find it irritating to use and your idea comes in!!!

I just want to know where to purchase the metal pan as you mention MAC only carry the pallete? I thought I could buy those palette from Elianto as its cheaper...:P

MisSmall said...

This is SO cool! I wouldn't have thought of this in a million years! Good job, gal! And you deserve extra pats on the back for all the effort in DIY'ing. *Pats pats* :D

Tine said...

Dang, this is good. I'm so going to try this out when I'm back. I love DIY-ing :p

Jessie said...

pretty beautiful: It was quite fun, so I did not mind experimenting actually :)

Connie: Ya ya, it worked out great. You want some? :D

Ping: I learned this from the ladies from US actually :)

Irenekay: You can try using Elianto's, and instead of using 20 cent like me, you can use 50 cents

Missmalls: Aw, thanks a million :)

Tine: Eh heh when will u be back? Can't wait to see what you bought!

Askmewhats said...

I am so lazy to do anything with my pigments and pressing it sounds too..well hassle! But your DIY looks so cool and easy! I'll give this a try ! thanks

Connie said...

I wanna try pressing some pigments when I have the mood to do so. Lol. I have so many DIY projects that I've yet to get to! Hmm... Elianto's palette... would the pigments stick on the smooth shiny surface and does the palette have holes? Need to check. I thought of ordering the empty quad from e.l.f.

mann said...

this is great! would love to try this out.

ps : do i just go to the pharmacy and ask for Isopropyl Alcohol 70%?

Jessie said...

Nikki: Try out and let me know how you did :)

Connie: I think elf (and elianto for that matter)'s quad does not come with the metal pan la. Just the plastic hole. I've seen others use elf but they usually break off the original eyeshadow from the metal pan

mann: Yup! But you have to ask from the pharmacist, usually those who can issue prescription drugs, behind the drug counter. If you ask those working in aisle I highly doubt they know what it is :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails