Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Question: Is it wise to change moisturizer once in a while?

New fangle angle. This is a something new whereby I hope to see many readers participate in, both to answer my question and also maybe someone else's. If you as a reader hope to see an answer too, please welcome anyone you know to come and comment too.

I am going halfway through my 3rd tub of Biotherm's Aquasource moisturizer. As I usually scoop a small amount out from the big tub to a smaller container, yesterday marked the day when I had finished up those in the smaller one. As it was already late at night, I was too lazy to bring all my utensils out to perform the operation.

What to do when you are out of moisturizer? Whipped out a trusty sample of course.

I am currently using Clinique's Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion. It is not as oily as I expected and seems to work well with my skin. Then it got me thinking. Is it beneficial to change/swap our moisturizer once in a while?

Dissecting this question from one point of view, I came up with the answer "maybe it is better" with the argument that maybe our skin will get used to a particular moisturizer that we have been using for a prolonged period of time. Maybe our skin is already immune to the effect of the moisturizer. Maybe our skin no longer absorbs any of the nutrients like it once did.

From another perspective, another side of me wanted to scream 'NO!'. If you find a moisturizer that works well for your skin, that does not break you out, that does not turn your face purple, do you want to venture into unexplored-skincare-danger zone? Tell me the truth, would you change your favourite hairstylist?

Please let me hear your views.

5 comments:

Chian Li said...

hey jessie! stumbled upon your blog while i'm blog-hopping...remember me?

hehe

nice blog you have here, i love reading reviews before I get something. Did you get all those stuff online?

Tine said...

I don't know about whether or not our skin gets immuned to the effects of the same moisturiser we keep using. But my motto is, if it ain't broken, don't fix it. The Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel has been my holy grail moisturiser since I was 11 (back then I used the lotion), and it worked. Whenever I try something else, travel samples, etc, my skin breaks out. I reckon it's best for me to stick to the one I'm used to, and not be adventurous. I'm funny that way. Makeup, I'd love to experiment. Skincare, I'm most conservative.

Same goes for hairstylists. I've gone to my usual hairdresser for the past 13 years. She knows my hair, and knows how not to cut it. When I got to Melbourne, I had to go to a new one, and she totally mucked up my hair because she didn't know how terrible my hair can get if it's too layered. Even after I told her so. Gah. Best to stick to the usual :)

prettybeautiful said...

i love experimenting new stuff! damn i have a serious break out now, with like 10 pimples on my face :(

Maria said...

actually i love trying on so many new moisturiser although not all are suitable for my skin. that's why i love getting samples! and when there's one that is really suitable for my skin, i'll use it regularly. i jz finished my 3rd tube of clinique moisture sheer tint (i love this!) and previously when i lived in 4 seasons country, i used biotherm aquasource for dry skin (the pink one).. that never failed me! :)

Jessie said...

chian li: Hey girl, haven't seen u for a looong while. Such a coincidence, I ter-met Jiad Li awhile back too :)

Yeah, for those stuff that is not available here, I get them shipped/brought back by family/friends.

Tine: Agree with the hair stylist. Been going to the same one for 4 years now. And the DDML was actually a surprise to me, because I tried a packet sample and found it too oily, but this bottle sample seems to be about right. Or may *god forbid* I'm turning old and dry and pruny????

prettybeautiful: Not sure whether this will help, but I use Cellnique Skin Action Gel as a blemish gel too :)

Maria: Welcome :)

I love getting samples too, but only if they are nice and big and not small and 'packety'

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails