Thursday, June 19, 2008

Beauty Loves: Google Reader (and other similar applications)

List of subscription on the left bar, main content in the middle

No beauty post today, just thought of sharing this nifty little web application by Google.

Being a savvy internet user since the prehistoric time, I am amazed at my own ignorance for not utilizing Google Reader. Everyday I would go through my Firefox Bookmark tabs and laboriously open up each website on separate tabs and get disappointed by the lack of updates and the waste of bandwidth. It was only when I learn to burn feeds for Beauty Loves (yes! I've burned my feeds! Not using Blogger's RSS and Atom! Subscribe now!) that I discovered I can actually subscribe to blogs' and other websites' feeds using Google Reader.

If you are a Gmail user, you will know if you leave Gmail open in a tab, you will get sporadic updates if you have received any mail. Well, Google Reader is the same. If any blogs or sites you have subscribed to has updated their content, they will inform you in the same way and you will be able to read their new contents straight in Google Reader, with pictures and all. It saves me time and energy, freeing me the need to check the sites up manually. Love love love.

Only flaw is, if the sites have 'read more by clicking here' thingamajic, you won't be able to read all of the post in Google Reader. However, you can just click on the title and it will open up the permalink of the post.

All you need is a Google account, the url of the site or its feeds, and your fingers of course. So go do it now and thank me later :)

More information about feeds, feedburners and a comprehensive list of feed readers/aggregrators. You can choose either software or web based.

Next review, NARS blush.

2 comments:

Tine said...

Oh hey that's MEEEEE! :P

I love Google Reader too. Use it religiously everyday. Not so good when I'm away and I come back to thousands of unread blog posts ;)

Jessie said...

Yeah free ads! :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails